In the past century, Double Envelope has grown from a company of three stockholding officers and four employees to an employee stock ownership business under BSC Ventures Holdings, Inc. with four locations and 450 employees.
It was founded by the Baer family in 1917, and the name derived from its original business of manufacturing two-compartment envelopes for church offerings. Today, Double Envelope produces what Brian Sass, chairman and CEO, calls transactional mail (envelopes for bills, bank statements and health insurance explanation of benefits); direct mail pieces; and specialty packaging products. That adds up to 7.5 billion envelopes a year.
The original owners made their first move to a bigger space on Luck Avenue in Roanoke in 1925, incorporating a folding machine that enabled the company to offer commercial envelopes. It also allowed production of envelopes for photo-finishing businesses.
In 1960, after several expansions, Double Envelope opened a 75,000-square-foot building on Plantation Road in Roanoke. Today, the facility encompasses more than 135,000 square feet and is home to manufacturing space and corporate offices.
The company is the third-largest envelope manufacturer in the United States, with locations in Roanoke; Baltimore, Maryland; Gainesville, Florida; and Angola, Indiana.